POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME – The facts and why Laser Hair Removal can help.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a common health problem that affects 5%-10% of women. No one is quite sure what causes PCOS. However recent studies have pointed to lifestyle, environmental and genetic factors.
What are the symptoms?
- Irregular menstrual cycles.
- Infertility due to irregular ovulation (egg release).
- Problems with easy weight gain and increased body fat (not all PCOS sufferers experience weight problems).
- Many small cysts (fluid-filled sacs) in their ovaries.
- Excessive hair growth on the face and body (hirsutism) caused by high levels of male hormones. This hair growth can continue for many years due to the body continuously producing male hormones making permanent hair removal difficult.
Is there a cure?
Because it is unknown why women get PCOS there is no cure however there are ways to prevent or reduce further problems. Some treatments for PCOS include:
- Eating healthy foods such as fruits, vegetable, lean meat and whole grain products. This will help lower your sugar levels which will improve your body’s use of insulin which will then help normalize the hormone levels in your body and help regulate your period.
- Going on a contraceptive pill. If you do not want to get pregnant the pill can help control menstrual cycles, help clear acne and reduce male hormone levels.
Can Laser Hair Removal help excessive facial hair growth?
Many of our patients at the Australian Laser and Skin Clinic have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and choose to get laser hair removal as it can offer long term hair removal results and produce a smooth silky feeling.
Why choose our clinic? We are dedicated to the care of our patients above all else. It is this care for our patients that strives us to source and use the leading, most effective Grade 4 Medical Lasers available, setting the benchmark for excellence in treatment safety and laser hair removal results.
At the Australian Laser and Skin clinic we know that having PCOS and dealing with excessive facial hair growth can be an ongoing battle, because of this we have a special discount for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome sufferers of 15% off all Laser Hair Removal treatments. (Medical certificate required).
For more details please call one of our friendly staff on 1300 786 166